Sharing few Security tips for your Email and work Place compliance. Hope it helps 🙂
- Define business record on a companywide or department-by-department basis Make sure employees can distinguish business- critical messages from personal and otherwise insignificant email. Make clear what role, if any, individual employees play when it comes to business record retention, deletion, and litigation hold policies and procedures.
- Form an email records management team made up of your legal counsel, compliance officer, records manager, human resources manager, and IT director.
- Know and adhere to the courts’ and regulators’ email retention, discovery, and content rules.
- Establish email business record retention rules, policies, and procedures.
- Determine business record lifecycles, and take out the trash! Delete email records when they reach the end of their lifecycles.
- Form a litigation response team to halt the routine destruction of email business records once litigation is underway or claims are anticipated. Support your litigation hold policy with Message Labs Email Archiving service’s easy-to-use litigation hold feature.
- Create an audit trail. Eliminate potential surprises by investigating your email system to determine exactly who has been doing precisely what on the system. Take steps, through written policy and MessageLabs Email Archiving service, to demonstrate that your email records are authentic, reliable, and legally compliant. Remember, if you can demonstrate that your archiving service is reliable and your email records are tamperproof, then your organization will be on more solid footing with courts and regulators.
- Educate your employees. Don’t expect them to understand business records — or their roles in the management of email business records — without training. Address, among other topics, email-related risks facing the organization, industry, and individual users; content and usage rules; email monitoring realities versus employees’ privacy expectations; industry and government regulations impacting email content and record retention; email’s role as discoverable legal evidence; disciplinary action — up to and including termination — awaiting users who violate business record retention policy or email rules.
- Automate the archiving process — to enhance productivity, reduce costs, enforce policy compliance, and ensure the legal validity of email evidence — with Message Labs Email Archiving service
Best Practice: Take the initiative. Don’t wait for an email discovery disaster to strike. Develop and implement written record retention policy and deletion schedules. Enforce retention policy with Message Labs Email Archiving service to guarantee your ability to produce legally valid email messages and attachments on time and intact to meet courts’ and regulators’ needs.
Good Luck 🙂